The park sits in a north-south running valley with moderately sloping sides on either side of the Braid Burn, which flows northwards though the Park. There is a limited extent of flatter ground by the Burn, and some of the natural topography has been manipulated, to form the 'seating' area opposite the stage. The site extending to 12.5 hectares was former farmland, purchased by the Council in 1933 to be used as a public park. In 1935, Girl Guides and Brownies planted around 400 cherry trees to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George IV. The park is located below the busy Comiston Road. Comiston Road to the east, binds the park on the west to the gardens of Greenbank Crescent properties, with the south by Pentland Gardens and Comiston Spring Avenue. The initials of King George and the Queen Mother adorn the main entrance gates. Inside the park is bisected by the Braidburn, a narrow watercourse that flows from the south to the north of the park. The two metre wide burn rises on the northern edge of the Pentlands and flows through the city to the sea at Portobello. The value of this wildlife corridor has led to the listing of the Park as an Urban Wildlife site. The park consists of grass with trees and shrubs around its edges. There are groups of staked Rowan trees with naturalised bulb underplanted.