Barnhill Rock Garden a public park of 2 ha, is located on The Esplanade, Broughty Ferry, approximately four miles from Dundee’s city centre. Situated on part of a former golf course, the Rock Garden was started in 1955 by clearing an area of volcanic rock which had at one time been the old shoreline. Over the years it was extended eastwards over areas which had been sand dunes, and rock from a local quarry was used to form a large part of the Garden. It is a gently undulating south sloping informal garden, with an outlook over the Firth of Tay.
The Geddes Glasshouse acts as a visitor centre and meeting place providing information about the Garden, the Friends of the Garden, the local area and organisations and has displays of photographs of the garden, events and a few plants.
The Rock Garden is on the Scottish Tourist Board Tourist Trail and is open to the public all year round. There are no entry fees and there are toilets, picnic tables and seats all round the Garden.